[Umpqua Birds] Warbling and Wandering

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:13:45 -0700

Hi Folks,

This morning a WARBLING VIREO took a long and hard look at the water
bath/dripper, but perhaps didn't want to join the hordes of Lesser
Goldfinches. This is the first Warbling Vireo I've had here since this
spring, and the first one I've ever had here in the "fall" (okay, we've
only been here for one previous fall).

Also this morning began hearing a male WRENTIT calling from the woods to
the west. Not too unusual--I hear them once in a while--but just wanted to
mention that between now and mid-September, some Wrentits (I'm not sure
what age or sex)--normally a very sedentary species--begin wandering,
exploring, looking for new territory (?). They will show up in places that
they have not been all the rest of the year. The most astonishing location
I saw/heard was last year up in the canopy of the trees near the boat ramp
at Plat I Reservoir. They are present in the vicinity at Plat I Reservoir,
but up in a tree with no ground cover but green mowed lawn underneath??? I
had not seen that before. Anyway, keep your ears tuned for their
distinctive calls; they may show up in a patch near you.

Good Birding,

Matt