[Umpqua Birds] Some recent birds and photos

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 22:38:34 -0700

Hi Folks,
  I've taken little walks around our house, and stopped here and there on
my way to jobs and other appointments to see what I can see....

A little over a week ago I followed our local ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER
around to get these photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14101750830/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14288375585/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14101706109/

Last Saturday, Jay Walters and I took a walk around the Eastwood Elementary
Nature Trail where we saw a couple YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14288376515/

Today I had WILLOW FLYCATCHERS at two locations, near the Wilbur Cemetery
and off DeCosta Lane (which is off Cole Rd., which is off of Fort McKay
Rd.) between Umpqua and Sutherlin.

Also today on my way to a job west of Sutherlin I stopped at Ford's Pond
where a large female PEREGRINE FALCON was just starting an assent. It
soared and flapped and soared quite high until I lost it. It had a few
primaries missing in its right wing (or an injury?). I'm curious to know if
anyone has seen this bird elsewhere recently (not sure how long this wing
configuration has been like this or will last). See photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14101743148/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14265258006/

Also at Ford's Pond, the TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS are still there. I have not
walked out there as there are "no trespassing" signs on a utility pole, but
I can hear the birds and this female was actually near the road where I was
parked:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/14101750340/

Enjoying this time of year.

Matt Hunter