[Umpqua Birds] Re: Some Steller's Jays moving?

  • From: Robert and Jean Pollock <rjpollock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:39:31 -0700

Hello!

The tales about the Steller's Jays reminded us that we saw two groups earlier in the year at Mildred Kanipe County Park. The first sighting was a group of about 25 jays on the hill above the headquarters on February 13; they were roaming on the ground and in the trees over an area of about an acre and we watched them for quite a while. The second sighting was on March 25 on the upper part of the Oak Savannah Trail where we saw about a dozen jays sitting in a blooming hawthorne.

In our yard, two days ago we had a Black-throated Gray Warbler that just wouldn't quit singing, but it was very hard to see as it flew from tree to tree. Yesterday a Black-headed Grosbeak and an American Goldfinch (both males) returned to our feeder for the first time this spring; they were there at the same time - brilliant! This morning we saw a very large bee at the rosemary flowers which turned out to be the first Calliope Hummingbird we have seen on our property in the 20 years we have been here!

Bob and Jeannie Pollock
northwest of Roseburg

On Apr 28, 2015, at 11:10 PM, Matthew G Hunter wrote:

HI Folks,

This evening, looking through some eBird reports, and getting an email from Stacy, I saw a pattern that I have seen in some years past.

1. An eBird report by Mikeal Jones from yesterday mentioned 10 Steller's Jays at his place, "all together, flying North and circling a conifer roost before continuing on North and West."

2. Stacy's email to me mentioned a flock of 19 Steller's Jays traveling through: "Also today, saw my first flock of Steller jays. (I have 2 residents) They came into a tree close to me then progressively moved to two more trees before they were beyond my view. Upon leaving the 3rd tree I was able to count as they left-- 19!"

Perhaps others of you are seeing this now, or have in the past: clearly cohesive, roaming/traveling groups of Steller's Jays. What are they doing? Our locals should be nesting right now. I don't know what these roaming bands are doing in late April. I looked up in Birds of Oregon: A General Reference, and in the online Birds of North America account, but only brief mention is made of the spring phenomenon and no explanation. One data set in BNA indicated these may mostly be year-old birds. ??? Who knows.

Anyway, this is an example of how pooling (sharing) our observations can reveal trends, behaviors, phenomena that draw us to ask questions and look a bit closer to understand more about the life and natural history of these species, even something as "common" as a Steller's Jay.

Anyone else seeing traveling bands of Steller's Jays?

Matt

To send a message to the list: address email to umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Account management and archives: www.umpquabirds.org/emaillist.htm
Info on birds in Douglas County: www.umpquabirds.org