[Umpqua Birds] Sharp-shinned Hawk and Grosbeak

  • From: MJ Mello <mjmello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:14:13 -0700

Hello all,

While watching our bird feeder in a maple tree near our porch we witnessed a dramatic example of life and death - prey bird defensive behavior. A male and female black-headed grosbeak were feeding along with American goldfinches when a sharp-shin hawk zipped into the tree. All of the prey birds scattered except for the female grosbeak, who stayed completely frozen at the feeder in one position for 8 to 10 minutes while the hawk perched nearby in the same tree about four feet away. Going against the “prime directive” we walked to the other side of the tree and the hawk flew away, giving the frozen grosbeak a chance to make a hasty retreat.

Cheers,

J Mello

To send a message to the list: address email to umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Account management and archives: www.umpquabirds.org/emaillist.htm