[Umpqua Birds] Sharing Photos with others

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:12:40 -0700

Hi Folks,  Sharing photos with others is a really fun and enjoyable thing
to do. Most everyone likes looking at photos to directly see what someone
else saw; to enjoy it and often to learn something from it. I think
everyone appreciates that.

I wanted to remind folks how easy it is to share your photos using a flickr
account. You just go to www.flickr.com, set up an account if you don't have
one, then while on any flickr site, click on "upload," find your photo on
your computer or mobile device, and upload it. Then, click on the photo on
your flickr site, copy and paste the web address from the address bar into
an email to send to others. We will be able to just click on the link and
see the photo(s).  I haven't given every possible option and step in this
process, and there are other options (such as a blog, or picasaweb, pbase,
facebook, etc.), but if you need help, feel free to call and I'll walk you
through it.

Most email lists, including this one, strip all attachments, so if you
attach a photo in the usual way, it won't (or it is not supposed to) go
through. A couple people on this list have embedded photos in the email (I
don't really know much about that), and they have actually gone through.
Others have sent attached photos and they were stripped, but a link to the
stripped files were placed on the freelists.org archive page for that
particular email (see archive links at www.umpquabirds.org/emaillist.htm if
interested). This usual practice of stripping attachments has at least two
purposes: 1) to not overload those with slow internet connections, and 2)
prevent unwanted attachments/viruses/etc. from being sent to a boat load of
people.

I hope those of you with photos (and video!) will take a little time to
learn how to share those with us. I'm happy to help you figure it out.

Best Regards,

Matt Hunter
Owner/Administrator
Umpqua Birds