[Umpqua Birds] Re: Saturday Green Heron

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 13:38:33 -0700

I have thought it's possible, but I have done some searching in the tree in
my yard and can't find it. But there are some absolutely enormous cedars in
my neighborhood, and I think they may be in one of them!

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

With all those sightings Jimmy (including a couple weeks ago) I wonder if
there is a nest near your house, maybe even in your yard!

Matt
On May 8, 2015 7:37 AM, "James Billstine" <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I forgot to mention a neat event that I observed last Saturday. Early
Saturday morning on my way to Diamond Lake I went out and heard a squabble.
I saw two birds come out of the cedar in my yard and land on the road. It
was a Cooper's hawk and a green heron! The cooper's must have attacked it,
and they squared off for maybe a second, the heron squawking. The Coop took
one more shot then high-tailed it south, and the heron flew east. A couple
minutes later I found a heron (not sure if it was the same one) perched on
my neighbor's roof!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130946385@N05/16805747103/

Cool start to the morning. Haven't seen a heron since!
--
James Billstine

http://birdsandbrawn.blogspot.com/