[Umpqua Birds] Ruffed Grouse

  • From: Mark Hamm <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 11:27:04 -0400

I was startled saturday to be walking down my entry way to my garage and see a
R. Grouse jump out of the bushes and trot a litlle ways away.
I got some pictures with my phone. It seemed to not be too afraid of me. I sent
the picture to Matt, he confirmed it was a R grouse and
said males at this time of year are more interested in territory and a mate and
can be approachable maybe he can post it as I'm too old to do that.

Also heard a report this week of a Golden Eagle diving towards a Bald Eagle out
near Kester Road off Diamond Lk Blvd. The Bald Eagle flipped up its talons
and the Golden flew on. I figured the Baldy would make a hasty retreat.

Mark