[Umpqua Birds] Re: Plat I Shorebirds and "Grinner"

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "billstinj@xxxxxxxxx" <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:03:40 -0700

Do not listen to Jimmy! He is just looking for a reaction from me, and he got
one. Nobody calls peregrines "grinners." Fire in the hole. 😀

Russ Namitz

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2015, at 19:27, James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I kayaked around Plat I today looking for shorebirds again. I re-found a (or
maybe the same) Semipalmated Sandpiper. I did not see the Long-Billed Curlew.
I decided today that looking for shorebirds in an inflatable raft is possibly
the laziest and most enjoyable birding I have ever done. Not only is it like
sitting in a soft, inflatable chair with excellent lumbar support, but if I
paddle with care I am able to get extremely close to the shorebirds without
disturbing them.

A ruckus among the peep flock drew my attention to a flyover Peregrine
Falcon. People in the know call Peregrines "Grinners," so now you know. =)

Saturday I drove down through Shady Cove to get to Hershberger Mountain and
hopefully a Calliope Hummingbird. The smoke was quite thick all the way up to
Prospect, but cleared up around Rabbit Ears. I dipped on Calliope but did
hear a Rock Wren.

On my way back I drove past Diamond Lake and found 2 Vesper Sparrows at the
Diamond Lake Sewage Ponds. I also took a picture of a dastardly bird that I
hope we can ID as a group at birder's night. See you then =)

--
James Billstine

http://birdsandbrawn.blogspot.com/