[Umpqua Birds] Last Saturday's Short Walks

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:50:55 -0800

Hi Folks,
  Last Saturday several of us took short walks (1) on the bike path near
where Deer Creek enters the South Umpqua River, and (2) near Laurelwood. I
say "near" Laurelwood because we really didn't get into Laurelwood; with
the time we had we were mostly behind the Health Department building
looking down into the riparian area along the river.

Along the bike path we had nice looks at a male ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD perched
and then flying high up in the air and doing his dive and little chirp at
the end. In the riparian area we listened to a BEWICK'S WREN sing one song
for a few minutes and then completely change it up and sing a different
song (that is their habit). Over near Laurelwood there was a flock of
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS high up. One TOWNSEND'S WARBLER gave us a nice look.
Lots of ACORN WOODPECKERS near the entrance to the neighborhood.

Good Birding,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR