[Umpqua Birds] Re: In case you missed the story

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:27:01 -0700

That Barn Owl in the nutcracker is a kick; it cracks me up (get it Bob?).
It also gives you an idea of the type of structures that probably once
housed these owls before "barns" appeared in the landscape and before these
formerly more common structures were mostly cut/burned/removed. Picture
huge, broken Douglas-firs, Ponderosa Pine, Oregon White Oak, California
Black Oak, Pacific Madrone, with holes due to large ripped-out
trunks/limbs, etc. Perhaps they were once the "spotted owl of the savannah"
(meaning they liked old-growth trees in a savannah/prairie setting). I'm
glad they like barns.

Matt

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM, <jeoreid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2015/04/dismantling_of_massive_nutcrac.html