[Umpqua Birds] High-Rise Canada Goose

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:59:17 -0700

Off and on for the last several weeks there has been a Canada Goose on top
of an "Osprey" platform on a utility pole north of Melrose Road on the west
side of the South Umpqua River. They have done that sort of thing around
here for decades, but it still surprises me when I see it. There used to be
a pair that would raise young in a nest on the very top of a very large
diameter Douglas-fir snag just west of Garden Valley Road on the south side
of the North Umpqua River (Brown's Bridge), between Umpqua Basin Water
office and the river. Seems that some time ago the snag fell down, or was
taken down or something. Some years the Osprey would nest in the snag and
some years the Canada Geese would nest there. I don't know if they every
managed to "share" it in a single year.

In other news from our homestead...
*Hairy Woodpecker has flown over while working outside the last couple days.
*Yellow-rumped Warblers are singing and moving through
*A Sharp-shinned Hawk flew by today; we get more Cooper's than Sharpies.

Good Birding,

Matt