[Umpqua Birds] Flocks of BAND-TAILED PIGEON and EVENING GROSBEAK May 9 Deady Crossing

  • From: Mikeal Jones <franajones6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Umpqua Birds <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 21:44:54 -0700

On Friday May 9, 2014 Jim Arneson and I saw flocks of 20 or more BAND-TAILED
PIGEONS and EVENING GROSBEAKS in conifers at the end of Deady Crossing Road,
where the road turns north to the Quarry.

Deady Crossing - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18329960

We went on to Ford's Pond where we saw the SANDHILL CRANE fly in overhead,
TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on the island off the dike between upper and lower ponds,
and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS on main pond north and south shore. Bob and
Jeannie Pollock emailed about seeing most of these same birds on the same day.

Ford's Pond - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18330049

At Plat I, on the south pond rushes on Plat I road, Jim heard the oonk-a-loonk
call of an AMERICAN BITTERN, then played a bittern recording, and the bittern
responded. I emailed about this bird earlier. A single BAND-TAILED PIGEON was
perched in conifers at Valley View Cemetery.

Plat I - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18335690

The rain and sun made good birding. Mikeal Jones

Mikeal Jones
826 SE Brockway Ave
Roseburg OR 97470

(541) 673-1859