[Umpqua Birds] Douglas County Weekend 4-18 & 19

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:56:13 -0700

Hello All,

I birded all over the county this weekend. Starting in Reedsport on
Saturday afternoon I looked for the ebird reported Trumpeter Swan, but
couldn't find it. Unfortunately, I looked in the wrong place. I had written
down that it was in the stream north of the Dean Creek Elk viewing area,
when it was actually reported as being downstream on the river. So, it
might still be there...

I re-found the female Harlequin Duck in Winchester Bay, it was right next
to the Marine Community Center. I then found some Purple Martins at the
Dawson Stowe Wetland area. What a beautiful call they make!

I then birded Ford's Pond and owled Cooper Creek, where Ken Chamberlain and
myself heard a few Western Screech Owls.

From there I buzzed up to Diamond Lake to try for a Boreal. Even as still
as last night was up there, I didn't hear anything! I gave up after 3 and a
half hours.

Today I set out to hike Rabbit Ears and Callahan Meadows. Unfortunately, my
notes for how to get to Rabbit Ears was also awful. I drove spur roads and
hiked up trailheads for 3 hours before giving up. I did find Callahan
Meadows, but it was very dead bird-wise, as I got there a little late in
the afternoon.

Good Birding!

James

--