[Umpqua Birds] Diamond Lake and Mount Bailey this week

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:34:43 -0700

At the south end of Diamond Lake on Tuesday, August 19, there was a BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER flying around calling, and acting as if it wanted to land in the
day use area parking lot, but it never did.

On August 19 and 20, while Lisa and the kids and I were up on Mount Bailey
west of Diamond Lake (8363 ft elevation), it was interesting that the
raptors we saw all appeared in groups: 4 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 2 NORTHERN
HARRIERS, 4 COOPER/SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS. In other words, they did not come
individually, they each came as I have listed them. I don't know if that is
normal for this time of year; could be family groups? Or just coincidence?
All raptors came up on the west side of Mount Bailey. Would be very
interesting to see how many are up there in the peak of fall migration in
Sept/Oct.

Best,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR