[Umpqua Birds] 6 Swallow Species PLUS OTHER at Ford's Pond

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: UB <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 18:23:47 -0700

Hi Folks,

Just got home from staring out at Ford's Pond in the rain, mostly, scoping
from my work van. Hundreds of swallows, including all six regular species
again, and an incredible 40 plus Purple Martins.

Uncommon species observed:

1 male EURASIAN WIGEON (with American Wigeon, see photo)

10 or more TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS. Haven't seen them here this year before
now, out on 2nd island.

1 male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD (see photos), in willows about 60-100 ft out
in water from SE corner of pond near Church Rd. Heard him for a while, but
didn't see until later.

18 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES flying around, landed once for about 5 seconds.

40+ PURPLE MARTINS

Complete checklist and notes for birds observed at Ford's Pond this
afternoon: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18292058

Also, complete checklist for Plat I (reported earlier):

Birding can be good even in the rain!

Matt Hunter

Melrose, OR