[Umpqua Birds] 3 pairs BG Gnatcatchers, S. Douglas County

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 17:36:59 -0700

Hi Folks,

I hesitate reporting something that is not currently available for
follow-up, but it is of biological/ornithological interest nonetheless....

I recently obtained permission to bird a nice area of chaparral on private
land in southern Douglas County. Friday I spent several hours with the
owner and a bit longer on my own. In total I found 3 pairs of BLUE-GRAY
GNATCATCHERS in an area of about 20 acres or so. There was more chaparral
that I did not visit. I hope to go back to determine if they actually breed
there this year, as I am not aware of any previous breeding records for the
county.

Well, that's two emails in a row with no precise location for the
interesting birds. Pretty unusual for me....

For the Birds,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR