[UHNA] having some extra, non-perishable food on hand

  • From: "Donnelly" <Donnelly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:25:38 -0500

Hi, Neighbors,

Just an idea.  While it might seem silly, I want to encourage you to think
about having some extra, non-perishable food on hand (maybe a week's, or
even a month's, supply over and above what you would normally have) as we
start the winter.  There are two big reasons.  First, with the economic
situation and food prices in general inflating, it makes sense to buy and
put away some food (and make donations to food pantries) before prices rise
again.  Earlier this fall within a one-week period, for example, the price
of peanut butter jumped about 40% in our country and continues to rise.  (In
an even crazier example, last week in Norway, butter was selling for $500 a
pound.)  Second, with the possibility of nature making it difficult or
impossible to get to the store to buy food (and for food to be shipped to
stores), it makes sense to have extra food on hand for both one's family and
to share with others.  With the approach of winter, right now I'm mostly
thinking of snow storms and blizzards, but there are also the possibilities
of tornadoes, floods, and other problems throughout the year.  Anyway, just
something to consider.

Thanks,

Sharlotte