[UHNA] My Charity: All I want for Christmas is a goat: San CommunityProject

  • From: "Donnelly" <Donnelly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 16:11:31 -0500

FYI, my charity:

  _____

From: anthropology-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:anthropology-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sharlotte Neely
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:06 AM
To: anthropology@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Anthropology] All I want for Christmas is a goat: San
CommunityProject

Hi, to all students, alumni, faculty, staff, & friends of

NKU Anthropology,

One of the key groups of people examined in more anthropology classes than
any other is the San ("Bushmen") of southern Africa.  It was among these
people--along the borders of Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa--that the
earliest modern humans evolved about 200,000 years ago.  Anthropology film
maker John Marshall began filming the San while still a teenager and
continued until his death, at age 72, in 2005.  In more recent times,
Marshall was an advocate of expanding the San way of life to include herding
and farming, and he contributed both his time and money to put the San on a
more secure economic footing.  The 2010 film, "Bitter Roots" (available in
NKU's Steely Library), made by Marshall's colleagues, laments the passing of
Marshall and his legacy of help to the San.  The film does point out that
one group continues his mission, and it's an unexpected group.  The Dutch
Reformed Church of Namibia works to supply the San with livestock.  You can
find out more at:

 <http://globalministries.org/africa/projects/san-community-project.html>
http://globalministries.org/africa/projects/san-community-project.html.

You can also make donations to their work with the San.  For Christmas I
have asked my family for one thing.  I want a goat.  For $70 a goat can be
provided to the San in Namibia, and I will have the pleasure of knowing I
have helped John Marshall make the San just a little more self-sufficient in
this contemporary world.

Thanks,

Sharlotte

Sharlotte Neely Donnelly, Ph.D.