[ueb-ed] Word 2010 upwards - Check Accessibility

  • From: George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ueb-ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ueb-ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 09:46:21 +0000

As the list seems to be quiet at the moment, I thought I'd take the liberty of
going a little off topic, but hopefully to your advantage.

As many of you know, I am very keen on promoting the principal of creating one
"master" document which can be used to produce many as many alternative formats
as possible, with as little work as possible.

Word 2010 saw the introduction of a feature which scans a document and suggests
where accessibility can be improved.  The attached docx Word file is an initial
draft which I hope will be found of interest.

The attached illustrates two specific issues.

1)      Alt Text - for screen reader users, images without these will simply
say, "Graphic" to the reader.  If you create a large print  PDF for example,
again they will simply say the word "Graphic".  It takes all of a few seconds
to give images meaningful description.

2)      Screen Tips - These can be useful, even for normally sighted people.
For example you may be displaying an unusual character or using a word which
needs some explanation not otherwise given in the main document.  A screen tip
can be added which, when you hover the house over the element, will pop up a
screen tip.

I hope some of you find this useful.

George Bell