[ueb-ed] Re: [Help] Braille notation on consumer electronics?

  • From: Dave Williams <dwilliamsuk@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ueb-ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Pullen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:28:23 +0100

Hi Bob

Thanks very much for thinking about braille. Often we're overlooked. Sometimes including braille on mainstream consumer products not only has the potential to make such products more appealing for braille readers, but also can be a useful conversation starter for people unfamiliar with benefits of braille.

In addition to here and Braille-UK, other forums you may want to consider sharing your project include:

Braillists community

http://braillists.org/forum/

Braille Support Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/braillesupportgroupuk/

Hope this helps.

Dave Williams

On 30/05/2020 09:11, Bob Pullen wrote:

Hi all,

Unsure if this is a good audience to ask, so apologies if not. I did consider cross-posting to braille-uk but was unsure of etiquette.

I'm currently considering the design of a piece of consumer electrical equipment and have been toying with the idea of featuring braille notation on the plastics to specify what various ports/buttons are. This is completely foreign territory for me though, so I'm wondering...

- If there's already some sort of accepted convention that exists for labelling common things like power buttons/Wi-Fi etc?
- If this is something that the visually impaired would actually find useful?
- If so, would the expectation be that all ports/buttons etc. are labelled, or only certain ones e.g. power?

The equipment in question is a broadband router and I've had a best effort attempt at what Braille could be used to label the various buttons etc. You can see that here -
https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbobzilla.uk%2Fbraille_schematic.JPG&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca93b782f02c3476607d408d804711c3f%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637264231130356510&amp;sdata=%2FqnyrHZy4LqRascJkZqtybHnXh3L4ghIBWGhtPsCyi4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Does anyone have any feedback/thoughts/suggestions? Is it useful? Is the semantic logical?

Best regards,