[ubuntu-l10n-it] Re: Localisation of Ubuntu in Piedmontese language

  • From: "Matthew East" <mdke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bèrto ëd Sèra" <berto.d.sera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:48:30 +0100

Dear Bèrto,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> FYI, piedmontese is taught in public schools and recognized by the Regional
> Laws. It is a growing part of the public education scheme and almost 5.000
> children went through the courses last year, but we obviously need tools for
> that. There are plans to distribute free hardware to the kids to help them
> in their learning process and we need a localised OS for that. This is what
> I'm working for.
>
> Yet, if this has to become a "political" issue, I'd rather opt out of Ubuntu
> immediately. I'm honestly quite tired to be assigned a political view I do
> not have

First of all, my email was an expression of my own opinion, rather
than of the Ubuntu project. There isn't any policy about dialects that
I'm aware of in the project. Secondly, note that I didn't assign any
political view to you in my email... And my email itself wasn't
political in nature. I was asking the question of whether it would be
beneficial to anyone to have Ubuntu localised in a dialect, in
circumstances where the focus of Italian education is on the national
language.

There are difficult questions of where to draw the line when it comes
to languages and dialects. Official recognition, education and whether
the language has any general written culture are all relevant
considerations.

The education programme that you've described above sounds very
interesting: do you have a link to it which describes the initiative?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org