[uae] Re: Updated source for AMD64

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:40:03 -0500

Hi Lem

On Saturday 18 June 2005 09:19 pm, Lem wrote:
> That was quick! Builds fine here.

The show-stopping problems were fairly easy to find.

> How did you find the install process for AMD64 Debian? (did you install
> it? :))

Easy-peasy. I actually had more problems installing the board in my case, than
installing Debian/AMD64.

> I'm running DeliTracker with the enhanced 14bit-Noteplayer, rendering
> Stardust Memories (by Jester of Sanity) mod to a 60kHz 16bit AIFF file
> with DSP effects, transpose, and bass and treble enhancements :D
>
> I'm going to have a day of listening to mods because of this, hehe :)

:-)

> It feels about as fast as my A1200 with 68030/40 + 882/50 which I don't
> have anymore :( (A64 3000+). I'll let you know if I run into any quirky
> problems.

Thanks. That's probably a good estimate of the speed. I'd expect to it be
comparable in performance to a 68030/50MHz. The nice thing about the AMD64 is
that GCC uses SSE2 for floating point code by default, so the interpretive
FPU speed is a lot better than on an x86 (which uses x87 maths).