[uae] Re: UAE SDL full screen mode

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:47:52 +0300

On Di, 22 Apr 2008, Lex Landa wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Soz if this one's been asked before -
>
> I've got E-UAE 0.8.29-WIP4 installed on two machines: a Sempron 2400
> 512MB and an Athlon 64 1GB.  Both computers have NVIDIA 6600 graphics
> cards.
>
> I've compiled E-UAE for SDL graphics and ALSA audio.  The problem that I
> have is when I do F12+s for full screen video, the screen mode that is
> chosen is out-of-range.  This happens in spite of the monitor timings in
> xorg.conf.  Can anyone shed any light on this, such as where SDL gets
> the mode timings from?

Unfortunately, that partially depends on the DRIVER that SDL is using.  And it
can use different ones - like, well, GDI, aa...

NORMALLY this doesn't enter into things, and quite frankly I don't remember how
to change it (it's an odd variable in your environment.)  Check THAT first -
and see if anything in your setup/distro has set something like that.

OK, I googled it:
http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=9

Your various drivers under Linux:
 x11 - (default) Use the X11 windowing system
 dga - Use XFree86 DGA 2.0 for fullscreen hardware acceleration
 fbcon - Use the framebuffer console
 directfb - Use the DirectFB API
 svgalib - Use the SVGAlib API
 ggi - Use the General Graphics Interface API
 aalib - Use the Ascii Art library

Check some other SDL apps - if you have mplayer installed, run mplayer with the
SDL library (-vo SDL) and use 'C' to cycle thru fullscreen items.  If IT also
can't do it, something seems odd.

Basically, though, in a 'default' setup, it will use the X driver, and pull the
timings from there.

> The 'gfx_' variables in .uaerc don't seem to have any effect.  Hmm.

Fairly sure those are for windowed... wait.

Um, by any chance, are you booting into a RTG configuration?  Could that RTG
config have been saved with different timings for the monitor?  I _believe_
that, when you move between different monitors, the Picasso96 driver steps down
to something generic like 640x480, or maybe 800x600, but I... only saw that the
other day when I fired it up and thought "odd."  Now, I am GUESSING here - but
IF your RTG setup is reading some timings that it shouldn't, you might get that.

The UAE PicassoII driver does query the host environment for valid modes,
though, so this seems like it's a wild guess that won't lead anywhere.

Obviously there are a TON of variables here and you haven't stated what you're
doing exactly (booting into RTG, booting into NTSC, booting into double-pal,
running this under FreeBSD, etc.) so my guesses may be very unhelpful.