[uae] Re: Testing UAE speed?

  • From: "Keith G. Robertson-Turner" <uae-freelists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:35:21 +0000

Verily I say unto thee, that Michael Kerpan spake thusly:
> I recently built two copies of e-UAR 0.8.29, one with my system's/
> e-UAE's default "unoptimized" build settings and another with heavy
> optimization for my system: "-march=athlonxp -msse -mfpmath=sse -O3"
>
> Can anybody reccoment a good Amiga benchmark to test whether this
> actually was worthwhile in terms of performance?

Well, I don't need a benchmark to tell you it wasn't worthwhile, as
you've dramatically reduced the performance of e-uae by building a 64
bit version, which cannot use JIT acceleration, as there is currently no
64 bit port of the JIT code.

The Basilisk II emulator /does/ have a 64 bit JIT for M68K, and Richard
Drummond (the e-uae devloper gone AWOL) did state he intended to port it
over to e-uae, but AFAIK he never got a round to it.

If that is still the case, then I think that should be a high priority
for any future work (puae?).

For now, stick to --march=i686, and ensure you have the 32 bit support
libraries (glibc et al).

--
Regards,
Keith G. Robertson-Turner