[uae] Re: "Hot keys" on OS X

  • From: Rich Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:53:28 -0400

Hi Andrew

On Aug 19, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Andrew 'Truck' Holland wrote:

My only issue with the moving of the key is that I am now used to using F11 on mac. I'd like to have the OPTION of setting the key, to be honest; so I can set all my machines to the same one, rather than the 3 different things I have now (between MorphOS, osX, and the Linux ones.)

I agree that having three different "defaults" is a bad idea.

It was due to short-sighted pragmatism, really. "F12" was the default for Unix builds of UAE, whereas AmigaOS builds used "Ctrl+Alt" because traditional Amiga keyboards don't have an F12 key. Then on OS X, the F12 key can't be read reliably (you only get a key-down event when the key is actually released) due to the operating system get first dibs on it for the eject function.

I am left with a situation where I'd like to standardize this across platforms and not to have to force Mac users to redefine their Expose, etc. keys, but whatever I do I am going to make somebody unhappy.

I think opting for the "Ctrl+Alt" sequence as the default everywhere but allowing users to redefine it should they wish might be the least poor solution. ;-)