[uae] Re: Hello, and E-UAE on amd64

  • From: "Keith G. Robertson-Turner" <uae-freelists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:27:12 +0000

Verily I say unto thee, that Walter Miles spake thusly:

> What do I do ---copy uae over and see what blows up when I run it?

You should be able to just run it from your $HOME or wherever you
extracted it, without necessarily overwriting any existing version.

> Also, in the August 15 versions, there is a 586 version.  What's
> that?  Is it specific to pentiums (Intel only?)?

It's been built using the -march=i586 flag with gcc, for some
unspecified reason. In practice, this should make zero difference to the
vast majority of systems out there, unless you're running an /actual/
80386 CPU (or older) from the late eighties, in which case it won't work
(illegal instruction). The -march=i686 flag can cause problems for VIA
C3 and AMD K6 CPUs, since they lack the CMOV instruction, but beyond
that I don't really see the point of optimising for i586 over the basic
i386.

> Are there any fine points or tricks to running E-UAE on amd64 and
> getting the best performance?

Other than ensuring the i386 support libraries are installed, and
various bits like SDL, not really.

Here's the deps for the i386 version of e-uae, AFAICT:

rpm -qf --qf "%{name}.%{arch}\n" $(ldd /usr/bin/uae | cut -d'>' -f2 |
cut -d'(' -f1) | sort | uniq

atk.i386
cairo.i386
expat.i386
fontconfig.i386
freetype.i386
glib2.i386
glibc.i386
gtk2.i386
libpng.i386
libX11.i386
libXau.i386
libxcb.i386
libXcomposite.i386
libXcursor.i386
libXdmcp.i386
libXext.i386
libXfixes.i386
libXi.i386
libXinerama.i386
libXrandr.i386
libXrender.i386
pango.i386
SDL.i386
zlib.i386

Your package manager should deal with that for you.

You'll need the i386 packages for ALSA too, if you want sound.

The difference in speed that JIT makes is quite spectacular, so until
someone ports Meyer's magic to AMD64, those of us using modern hardware
will just have to continue enduring Intel's outdated architecture, much
like we did for the sake of Flash and Java.

--
Regards,
Keith G. Robertson-Turner