[uae] Re: Does CD-ROM Support work under UAE?

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:52:49 -0500

Hi Yvan

On Monday 07 June 2004 11:41 am, Yvan wrote:
> I seem to have a problem with CD-ROM access under UAE 0.8.21. Does it work
> at all?

I don't know if it actually worked on UAE 0.8.21. Anybody else know? It does
on my latest UAE 0.8.25 release (at least it should do on all Unix-like
systems and on BeOS. The one exception that I know of is MacOS X - but I've
fixed that now).

> When I boot into UAE I get the following message:
>
> Alert Window with the title 'Cache CDFS' and the text 'cannot open
> scsi.device unit 0'
>
> I'm using the same device file under WinUAE and on the same PC (so same CD
> drive, same hardware).

I was momentarily confused by that statement. ;-) I see - you mean mountlist.
As Toni pointed out, you need to specify 'uaescsi.device' not 'scsi.device'.

> Here it is, and before you skip reading --> Any ideas????

First off, UAE uses the same mechanism for accessing your CD drive as cdrecord
does. So, does cdrecord work on your system?

Are you using Linux?

If so, check that you have the SCSI generic driver loaded ( the sg kernel
module). If your CD drive is an ATAPI one, you also need to check that the
SCSI over ATA driver is loaded first (that is, the ide-scsi module). Then
check you have read and write permission on all the /dev/sg* device files.
Most distros will handle the module loading automatically for you, but do
check the permissions on the /dev/sg* files. cdrecord is generally installed
suid root, but UAE isn't, so cdrecord will work with only root access to the
SCSI generic device files, but UAE won't.

Finally, you need to add the option scsi=true to your UAE config file.

If you've done all that, it should work. Check the output on the console when
UAE is booting your Amiga set-up. It should list any SCSI devices it finds.

If you are still having problems, define the env variable USE_SCSI_VERBOSE to
1 before launching UAE. The SCSI driver will output a lot more information
that might be helpful in figuring out what the actual problem is. In bash, do

export  UAE_SCSI_VERBOSE=1