[u3aavcuss] Creating PDFs from ANYTHING except root vegetables

  • From: "Mike Bean" <Mike.Bean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <u3aavcuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:38:53 -0000

Tony Dobbs and Jim McKay (esteemed committee members both) want to know how
to make a PDF version of a Microsoft Publisher document in one step.

Well, not only can we create PDF files directly from Microsoft Publisher, we
can produce PDF files from any PC software that can print its output to a
... er ... printer!

There are dozens of products that do this in almost exactly the same way:
pdf995, CutePDF, PDF4Free, PrimoPDF, PDFcomp, VeryPDF etc., etc. I have used
several of them in the past but the one I use for commercial publishing and
101 personal uses almost daily is CutePDF and as it is recommended by many
publications I suggest you chose it.

CutePDF is Freeware and is, effectively, a printer driver but the printer is
not a physical one but a program that takes the regular output that would
normally be printed by, say Microsoft Publisher, and builds a PDF document
and stores that where you want using the familiar style Windows file handler
panel.

Installation of CutePDF adds a new 'printer' in the Print dialogue panel,
used by all Windows programs, adding a new name to the list of printers
available: 'CutePDF Writer'.

Download it from: http://www.cutepdf.com/, making sure you select the 'Free
download (Vista ready)' path and install it in the usual way - that's it!

Once installed, for any program that can print, you can choose EITHER to
print in the normal way to a physical printer OR, by changing the selected
printer at print time to 'CutePDF Writer' and hit Print it will, after a
moment, ask you what the PDF should be named and where it should be stored
and Robert is your mother's brother.

Mike Bean

Oh ... the root vegetables? Always a problem. I suggest you stay clear of
digitizing any root vegetable, especially carrots and parsnips, results can
be unpredictable and occasionally messy.