[TURC] Re: Ontario Changing Workplaces Review

  • From: Ian Hussey <ihussey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:47:03 -0700

Thanks Jim.

Unifor's research on this file will be very helpful as we engage in
Alberta's labour law review. I will share your research through the Alberta
Progressive Research Network that Parkland coordinates.

(The Minister of Labour was on our board of directors until she was
recently elected.)

Ian

Ian Hussey
Research Manager
Parkland Institute
Office: +1 780-492-6112
Mobile: +1 780-934-0454
1-12 Humanities Ctr, U of A
Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E5
http://parklandinstitute.ca/

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM, Jim Stanford <Jim.Stanford@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Friends

The Ontario government has sponsored a Changing Workplaces review to
consider the causes and consequences of precarious work, and possible
relations).

Unifor has submitted a very comprehensive and ambitious brief to the
process. It is available here, along with various shorter companion
materials:

http://www.unifor.org/en/take-action/campaigns/workplace-changes

Some of the key features of Unifor’s brief include:

· An overview of precarious work and its effects.

· 43 different recommendations covering reforms to both
employment standards and labour relations rules.

· A far-reaching proposal to establish sector-based benchmarks
and bargaining structures for industries which face particularly precarious
or unstable employment relationships.

· An innovative proposal to enshrine rights to collective action
on the part of non-unionized workers.

· Another proposal to strengthen successor rights in contract
work situations (forestalling the “contract flipping” that has had such
damaging effects on organizing efforts).

· A chapter marshalling Canadian and international evidence to
show that strengthening employment standards is not associated with
investment flight, job loss, and poor economic performance.

We are optimistic, given political conditions, that some reforms in this
area can be won from the Ontario government, and also that similar
campaigns can make progress in other provinces (such as Alberta, where the
new government will undertake an ambitious labour law review in coming
years). Our Ontario local activists are gearing up for a major lobbying
effort around these issues in coming months.

Feedback and ideas on this material are most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

*Jim Stanford *

*Economist / Economiste Research Department, **Département de la
recherche*
[image: cid:273813AF-CA9C-4D4F-8156-DD2879AC2E16]

*T: *1.800.268.5763 ext.849 | *Fax: *416.495.6552
205 Placer Court, Toronto, ON, M2H 3H9

jim.stanford@xxxxxxxxxx

[image: unknown.png] @JimboStanford <https://twitter.com/UniforTheUnion>

[image: unknown_1.png] facebook.com/Jimbo.Stanford
<https://www.facebook.com/UniforCanada>

www.unifor.org

------------------------------

***** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
sender immediately. If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or attachment. If you are not
information is strictly prohibited. Thank you.

***** Ce courriel et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et ne
sont réservés qu'à la seule personne ou entité à qui ils sont adressés. Si
vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez aviser l'émetteur
immédiatement. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire désigné, vous ne devez
pas diffuser, distribuer ou copier ce courriel ni les pièces jointes. Si
vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, il vous est strictement interdit de
révéler, copier, distribuer ou prendre toute mesure en lien avec le contenu
de ce message. Merci.

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image