[triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V5 #194

  • From: Brian Cornelius <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:59:05 -0800

Armando,
You were right. Ad-Aware did not seem to have any entries I could ID for AVG in Quartine.
The Ad-Aware version is 1.04.

Maybe it was the SpyBot S&D that I was thinking about.
I looked in the Recovery area of SpyBot S&D and found 4 items backed up:
Alexa Related
Possible extension hijack
Cool WWW Search
DSO  Exploit
There did not seem to be anything related to AVG in the first three.

However, in the DST Exploit there were 7 items listed under it that looked like it could be a problem. They were all the same exact for the date:
HEYKEY_USER\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currnnt User\Inter Net Settings Zones'

I was not sure what these were so I  did not restore any of them.

Could this be the problem?

BRIAN __________________________________

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:56:37 -0800
From: Brian Cornelius <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Zone Alarm Says AVG not fuctioning!

Lately I had been getting a lot of "junk" when running my weekly maintenance programs.
So after doing some checking I found that Zone Alarm said it could not detect any anti virus program running. And since I have AVG up and running I was surprised; however, I remember when up dating AVG and Ad-Aware that there was some notice the latter may identify AVG spy ware. Consequently, I am wondering if I may have used Ad-Aware to do some clean up that de-activated AVG.

Or maybe I have done something else that de-activate AVG.
I have checked the settings and could not find anything that appeared to be the obviously cause of the problem.

Since I owe my appreciation to the group for recommending and helping me find, download and use these two wonderful free programs and I hoping someone will know what may be wrong. (These wonderful programs have sure proved the wisdom of one of Armando great tips: why buy it if someone is offering he same thing for free!)

So as always, thanks for all previous help and any help you can offer with this problem.

BRIAN
______________________

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:52:27 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Zone Alarm Says AVG not fuctioning!

In AdAware, open your quarantined list and right click on the entry(ie= s)
and peruse them to verify if you have indeed disabled it, though I don't
believe AdAware thinks of = AVG as a nuisance. It does this with Spybot,
though..., I never encountered that with AVG. What version of ZAlarm r u
running?

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Cornelius Sent: Dec 10, 2004 12:56 PM To: triadtechtalk@freel= ists.org Subject: [triadtechtalk] Zone Alarm Says AVG not fuctioning! Lately I had been getting a lot of "junk" when running my week= ly

= ________________________________________ PeoplePC Online A better way to
Internet http://www.peoplepc.com