[triadtechtalk] Zone Alarm Problems and Tiny Pers. Firewall

  • From: "ElisabethM" <elisam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:06:21 +1000

Chuck asked:

> can I ask why you got rid of Zone Alarm?..... in my opinion it is
> a big mistake as tiny is ok.. just that ok but no wheres near as goof as
Zone
> Alarm.... what problems where you having and what flavor of windows do you
> have?

Hi Chuck and forum

I am running 98SE

I got very frustrated with ZA as it prevented me
from accessing MS Critical Updates. When I uninstalled
it according to instructions as posted on the ZA
site I found that I was no longer able to access
the internet with OE5.5 and IE 5. So, I had to
reinstall ZA.

After much searching and asking around I realized
that I had to uncheck in ZA's Security section
'On top during Internet Activity'.  This fixed the
Crit. Updates problem but I was still troubled by
my inability to access the internet when uninstalling ZA.

This is how I attempted it, according to the info on the
Zonelabs site, and I quote:

"Step 1. The most important step in uninstalling ...
 is to make sure that ZA and its underlying TrueVector
 service are not running.... To unload the TrueVector
 Service go to the Config Panel and uncheck the box
 labeled: "load ZoneAlarm at Win startup ..."etc etc

After this I run the uninstaller, with the results mentioned
above. After many unsuccessful attempts, I finally ignored
Step 1 and just run the uninstaller and presto everything
is working ok.

The reason why I am trying to get Tiny up and running
is that someone on this forum, when I posted my problem
regarding the Crit. Updates (mid July), told me that he
gets a much  higher security rating at Pitstop with Tiny
than with ZA.  Now I have to learn how to configure
Tiny, unless I reinstall ZA now that I know how to work
it.

Thank you for your interest and would you tell us why you
think ZA is better than Tiny? Have any of the other members
any thoughts on this?

Regards
Elisabeth