[triadtechtalk] Re: WIN XP

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:49:04 EDT

questions on winxp.... and I apologize for the length of this eamil...... if
you aint been testing it I would think it is going to be a real awakening
when you buy it..... first go to the microsoft  site for win xp
              http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.asp
here is their blurb..... then simply do a search using any of your favoite
search engines and check out the web tech sites comments on it..... but
really read what it says about a Windows XP computer... the requierments for
it will blow your mind... as it means a goodly number of PCs now operating
are obsolete.....and it wont work on them...... then read about its
activation procedures and what happens if you dont activate it or make more
than an unspecified number of changes to your pc.. an unspecified number so
far to date and its there forever... belive me .. it will go on ONE pc..
repeat.. ONE PC only.. if you own 2 or 3 you will have to buy a copy for each
one... this is to prevent pirateing the software.. then read about
.net,hailstorm,and Passport.... you will soon see it is a method to totally
control your pc.... and pass back to MS what is going on in your pc ... even
tho they are denying this and claim the three are not requiered.. but down
under- Austraila- its all ready in effect... check there.. Office XP is using
the same technolgogy .. final result is you do not own the software,but
simply are leasing it.. and will require that you renew after 2 years currentl
y there.... then when it comes to the windows product activation ... haha...
check it out... with an encrpyted method MS takes the manufacturers id  and
serial numbers for selected items in your pc such as the motherboard,cpu,hard
drive,video card,sound card,cd rom, amount of Ram and who knows for sure as
to what else and using an encrypted algorythm to calculate a unique number
along with the serial number of your copy and assigns it an idenity...sort of
like your machine now has a MIcrosoft social security number.... you
currently are allowed to make an unspeified number of changes to your machine
over an unspecified period of time without having to go thru a renewe
activation... but... if you exceed that unknown number it will tell you to
reavtivate your windows xp... if not it simply stops functioning... can only
view a few selcted items such as  activate and shutdown or restart.... now
take a "for instance.... you paid $200 for this program and install it on
your Compaq pretty machine but along comes a power surge that destroys your
pc....  no problems.. insurance buys you a new one and you install your winxp
on it and then have to activate it.... but now it has a new id and the
activation site will tell you to call this telephone number and speak to a
Microsoft tech.,,, hmmm anyone ever call MS tech by phone?... and it is not
an 800 number..... then you have to explain why you are attempting to
activate your copy of WINXP on your new machine..... do you think it will be
policy to "beleive" everyone who calls and says their old machine was ruined
by lightning,or a power surege,, or even as I read on one tech site how one
fellows pet iguana crawled up into his machine while he was working o it with
the case opened and used it as a toilet ruining his motherboard.. ( it got
wet and shorted out across a few of the traces)........ kind of reminds me of
how we all tried to explain to our teahers how our dog/cat ate our
homework...... I could go on for hours about big Brother Billy and his newest
tragedy.. but enough said on that .....one reason I now have a linux machine
and trying to learn how to make it work.... but does WINXP work and how in
comparison to other versions?... since have been using it form
Beat,Beta1,Beat2, Release Candiate 1 and 2... yes it does seem to be way
better than all the rest... easy to operate?? hmmm everything that I knew is
now changed radically even tho it has the so called "windows classic"
setings.. but it aint so "classic".. yes it seems super stable.....yes it can
burn a cd without needing any new software so long as you have a cd burner
installed... yes it is secure and has its own firewall and yes internet
connection sharing is great and yes alot of other pluses... but it definetly
has more negatives than positives since it has its own sort of spyware built
in .. and you better belive the Warez guys and script kiddes are working
overtime attempting to generate code to break it....will they> who knows..
lots of sites claiming to have done so but only one known to date and it was
a crypto company in Germany and was only a demo so one could see partly what
was going on... that was for version RC1 that wouldnt do anything for RC2....
so it can be changed at anytime by Billy Boys' guys.....now this is to
prevent piracy according to Billy Boy,and to enable MS to keep you updated so
you are up to snuff all the time with your pc........ hmmmm now what does
that mean?... well ask the guys down-under..... go online and seems there is
another little file running in the background.. what one? so far its an
unknown.... but you may be online and suddenly your pc is sending info to MS
.. just checking on the status of things according to MS... and MS finds that
you have made radical changes to your machine and have not reactivated it
yet....... no Blue screen of Death.... thye are about gone.. but your pc
simply slips down to what MS calls" limited functionality" until you
reactivate or plead your case to one of the MS techs  after maiking one of
those famous "short telephone calls" to the reactivation site......going to
stop here as it can go on for page after page..... will I buy it?.. nope.. am
doing what IBM has done... checking out linux..... as fast as I can... and
have found a few programs that allows limited current programs designed for
windows to operate in the LINUX environment.... as I can see that it isnt
service to the customer that is within MS thoughts with this newest and
greatest fluff,but simply a means to insure they have my bank account locked
in with their system... sorry no thanks not for me.. the IRS is bad enough..
dont need 2 of them in my life.... but this is my thoughts on this mess since
have been working with it when was code named whistler..... way back when....
Chuck... in Ok