[triadtechtalk] Re: Tabbed Browser + Mozilla

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:21:28 -0800 (PST)

Whereas you would get another instance of IExplorer
when you open a new link or a new web page, a tabbed
browser uses the same page and just adds a new tab for
each, and you can have as many as your system's memory
setup allows you to tab.

These tabscan be set to open in the background if you
wish. Then you click on the new tab and read the new
information or web page. You can close each tab
individually or all at once. You cna set a "group" of
links or webpages to open upon starting the browser.

Most all of these tabbed browsers offer a built in
popup stopper and allow for the cleaning of
cache(Temporary Internet Files), cookies, MRUs, etc. at
will or automatically upon closing the browser.

Avant is one other that I failed to mention previously.
C.P. of LockerGnome particularly favors MyIE2 as of
late.

Other browsers only show one page at a time or squish
them together in an overlapping mess or hides the pages
that are not active. A tabbed browser gives each web
site its own tab.

I don't recommend that you uninstall IE. It is so
intertwined into the OS that you are better off leaving
it alone. Besides, all the other tabbed browsers need
IE to be installed in order for them to work. They all
use iIE's "engine', except of course, Mozilla,
Firebird, Opera and perhaps a few others with which I'm
not familiar.

All you need to allay the fear of the possibility of
intrusion via IE's newest weaknesses is to avoid
unwanted scripts from unknowingly running as you surf.
I accomplish this via StartUp Monitor and Script Sentry.

StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs
transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and
notifies you when any program registers itself to run
at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless
tray applications from registering themselves behind
your back, and it acts as a security tool against
trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

Script Sentry allows safe scripts to run on your system
while alerting you if a script might harm your system.
In addition, Script Sentry prevents against malicious
scripts hidden in ShellScrap (hidden SHS and SHB
extensions) files, Word/Excel macro viruses, malicious
HTA files, and accidentally run REG files.

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/scriptsentry.asp

These are all 3rd party tools available to us that will
allow anyone to continue using the "unsupported"
software for a long time, despite the push to force us
to upgrade. Antivirus, firewalls and spyware detectors
are other welcome tools that IMO are a must.

I also like to use The Proxomitron. With it I can
exclude ads and images from running at will. I use it
not so much to surf anonymously but to stop all the
unwanted ads when I surf.

Although there are a myriad of similar utilities to
aide in managing memory usage I favor AnalogX's MaxMem:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm

and to control the cookies set in my PC I use AnalogX's
CookieWall:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm
Once I've installed CookieWall, then I can't do without
PTFB. It will automatically click what I set it to do
so, such as "Temporary Accept" a cookie or any other
repetitively annoying dialog box.
http://www.bobos.demon.co.uk/par/PTFB.htm

Anyway, Mozilla 1.6a is already patched to prevent the
newly discovered vulnerability in browsing via Windows
OSs. It needs some tweaking, but it works as it is now.

HTH,
armando
Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of
mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in
mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.
--Calvin Coolidge