[triadtechtalk] Re: Laptop Problem

  • From: "Richard" <modelworker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:47:53 -0700

Victor wrote:

If this is not the case, then you have a few other options. The first
one would be a bad memory chip, a memory chip that is not seated
correctly. Open the case where the memory is and make sure it is seated
properly. Simply re-seating it may solve the problem.

Well, the fan was fine, vents were clean. Sooo, I unseated/reseated the memory chip a couple of times. I took out the battery and just plugged the laptop back in and tried again to run the Quick Restore CDs. All three ran and I was able to reinstall the operating system! All went well. Nice new clean OS. I connected to the internet, downloaded AVG, ZA, and MS Anti Spyware. All fine. After 90 minutes or more, I shut down, reinstalled the battery, plugged the laptop back in, booted up, and it ran for about 10 minutes... And shut off. I rebooted and it lasted about 1 minute. I removed the battery again (which the power meter said was at 100%), rebooted, and now it's been on and running fine sans battery (and playing a DVD) for about one hour.

Fourth is a defective/damaged battery; laptops are really touchy about
the battery. Can you run the laptop without A/C power? For how long? Can
you run the machine without the battery? For how long?

So the battery seems to be the culprit, eh? At least that's how it looks at the moment. I'll let it run this way for another hour or so and then put it to bed for the night. What is it about a defective or damaged battery that would make the machine quit like that?

At any rate, I humbly thank you for the good advice, Victor. It is *very* much appreciated. If, indeed, this is the only thing wrong, I can just replace the battery and I'll be in good shape. I guess they aren't cheap but, hey, the laptop was free!

One other thing: while it runs (when it *is* running) much better than that Toshiba my son received a while back, it could do better. Here's the specs:
Mobile AMD Duron Processor @ 490MHz, w/240MB RAM.

Thanx again,
Richard