[triadtechtalk] Boot Up Message Removal

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:14:32 -0600

Here is a problem for the end of the year wrap up .

When I start up my computer I get a full page message during boot up. It mentions System and Super Disk stating that 2 files are missing:
C:\Progra~1\imation\sda\pgifsfx.vdx
and C:\Progra~1\imation\sda\pgifs.vdx

Apparently somewhere along the way I "lost" something that was need for the Super Disk although it still seems to work.
I don't remember anything like this problem being covered before, so I am hoping someone knows how to deal with it.

I emailed there tech help and they advised:
" The files that you have mentioned are for the SuperDisk Accelerator. We only recommend using that software with Windows 95. Below is instructions for removing the rest of the software.

To manually uninstall the SuperDisk Performance Accelerator, you will need to perform the following steps. Remember that you are looking for these folders for the purpose of removing them from your system. If they are already gone, there is no need for concern.

Open your Windows Explorer.
In the C: drive, look for a folder titled PG95. If it exists, delete it.
Also, in the C: drive, look for a folder called Program Files, and open it.
In Program Files, look for folders titled SDA and PA. If they exist, delete them.
Close Windows Explorer.

-My Computer
+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+Software
+Imation -------------- DELETE THIS FOLDER

*****NOTE: Do not delete the folder labeled Imation Enterprises Corporation unless you wish to remove the SuperDisk drive also.

-My Computer
+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+Software
+Microsoft
+Windows
+CurrentVersion
+Uninstall
Imation SuperDisk Accelerator vX.XX ---------------- DELETE THIS FOLDER

-My Computer
+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+System
+CurrentControlSet
+Services
+Vxd
+PGIFS ---------- DELETE THIS FOLDER
+PGIFSFX ---------- DELETE THIS FOLDER

-My Computer
+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+Software
+Microsoft
+Windows
+Current Version
+App Paths
+SDACCEL.EXE OR SD120ACCELERATOR.EXE ----------------- DELETE THIS FOLDER

Exit the Registry Editor. Restart your computer.

If uninstalling the Performance Accelerator does not improve the situation, contact us either by phone or email and one of our technicians will assist you in finding a resolution."

So I am thinking:
1. I am using WIN 98 and they recommend using the software with WIN 95.
2. The hardware and software came preinstalled on the computer so I don't have a CD to I try to uninstall and reinstall the software. 3. They mention that after making the registry changes to see drive will work on a floppy and a Super Disk. I have check the drive out already and it still works on both of these.
4. Remembering that Armando, and Chuck have advised me and many other members: don't mess with things that are already working. So I am thinking that I should NOT try there registry fix.
5. However, I would still like to get rid of the boot up message.

So the questions are:
1. Is it best to skip there registry fix?
2. Is there a way to get a copy of the message? I have tried Print Scrn, and SHIFT+C while it is on the screen but neither will generate a copy.
2. Finally, usless advised otherwise, I would sure like to remove the message. So if appropriate, can someone explain exactly how to remove this kind of message once I have copied it?

I hope it not one of those real difficult problems.

BRIAN