[triadtechtalk] Re: BigFix - Brian

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:27:35 -0800 (PST)

Ahh, yes, I see! I Googled for "Big Fix" & nada!
"BigFix" comes back with a chockfull of links.
My answer to your original inquiry is a question:
Is it broke?

If'n' it ain't, then don't fix it!
I's learnt that one from Chuck in OK!

I remember there was a similar utility from one of the
biggies(ZDNET???). I very dilligently & trustingly
followed their update advise & downloaded them. It
messed up an installation of Win98 of mine when it
offered several updates to some applications that my PC
had.

They did say something to the effect of "use at your
own risk". The site & service to which I refer is
defunct now, but I stopped using it long before they
stopped providing the service. It had a very similar
interface & searched through my PC & made suggestions...

HTH,
armando

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:03:37 -0600, brian99 wrote:
Armando,
Sorry for not mentioning anything else about this
BIGFIX. I have become to believe that there isn't any
thing that the core group of the forum doesn't know
about computer! But know I know better: there is one
thing! :-[

I think it could be best described as a special
updating service.
This has to be one of the few programs I found outside
of this group.
This is the link where Langa mentions it favorable. He
describes it as, "the largest remaining independent,
third-party updating service  which sniffs your
machine's hardware and software, and then makes
recommendations as to which patches,...". It is
discussed on this page under 4. "How to catch up
without catchup".
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-10-10.htm#4

It seems like a great program. I had tried it quite
awhile back but didn't continue using it because I was
way too inexperienced then.

BRIAN

From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Big Fix