[triadtechtalk] Armando Lays waste to the Automatic Loading: PROGRAM Folder !

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:10:15 -0600

Yes, behind the scene Armando makes quick work of the Program Folder once he can actually see it.
This is the message I sent Armando that shows exactly what was done to quarantine the villain:

+++++++++++++++++++
"Armando,
I can't believe it. A few minutes with you gazing at the real image of the Program Folder and you knew exactly what to do!!!!
I re-named Program, ProgramOld ( I think that is also something you or Chuck showed me how to do), and rebooted.
Held my breath during the long booting and. . .
when the Desktop loaded NO other windows loaded and I Cheered loudly!!!
I looked in Explorer, and as expected, "Program" is gone, and I now have, "ProgramOld", instead.
So I then deleted ProgramOld to the recycle bin.
Then rebooted again to make sure the world didn't come to an end and. . .
again no apparent problems!!
So I will keep ProgramOld in the Recycle Bin for a few days just to be sure nothing surfaces as a problem before I delete it for good!
I was really beginning to worry when Chuck thought I may have:
i_worm/opas

Again, thanks a million! What a relief to be able to say GOOD-BY to that villain!!!

BRIAN"
Since Chuck mentioned this:
Chuck mentioned:

that is where this little mess had come up from..... the file I named... hpistr.hpi is an older worm... and I bet it was on your root c:\somewhere and hadnt been activated......and when you redid the drive.. it came alive.....Symantic has a good set of instrctions to remove it plus a worm removla tool for it also.....

I looked for hpistr.hpi and he only place it showed up was in: C:\RECYCLED\DC26\HPISTR.HPI as a 1KB HPI file. And C:\RECYCLED\DC26 contains the exact contents as the old Program File! So if I delet this C:\RECYCLED\DC26 I will eliminate hpistr.hpi and be totally free of any remnants of the problem. Does this look reasonable?

Thanks for all the help; hepefull this will totally resolve this glitch.

BRIAN