[tor] Press release with Reporters without Borders

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:14:47 +0200

Hi,

As you know, Hivos/DDP funds us to run a large number of bridges. For
diversity, we want to spread this across as many organisations. Ideally,
orgs are not running high bandwidth exits and bridges at the same time.
I'm very proud to announce that one of our partners for the bridges is
Reporters without Borders.

Here's today's press release about it:

https://blog.torservers.net/20140425/reporters-without-borders-and-torserversnet-partners-against-online-surveillance-and-censorship.html
( https://en.rsf.org/reporters-without-borders-and-25-04-2014,46196.html )

-------------------------
Reporters Without Borders and Torservers.net, partners against online
surveillance and censorship
Fri 25 April 2014 by RSF

Reporters Without Borders and Torservers.net have joined forces to
create and maintain 250 additional relays for the Tor network.

“In doing this, our two organizations are thumbing our noses at the
entire world’s censors,” said Grégoire Pouget, the head of the Reporters
Without Borders New Media desk. “Whatever the technical means deployed
to control information, there will always be circumvention methods that
many organizations including ours will not hesitate to deploy.”

“Anonymity is important for the full expression and realization of civil
liberties. On the Internet, safe and unmonitored communication can only
be established through methods of trusted decentralized anonymizing
services like the Tor network.”, added Moritz Bartl, the founder of
torservers.net.

Tor is free software and an open network that helps to improve
protection of privacy and the security of Internet communications. Using
the Tor network ensures protection against a form of network
surveillance known as “traffic analysis.” This type of surveillance can
be used to discover who is communicating with who and, in some cases,
even to identify who you are and where you are located.

Journalists use Tor to communicate in a safe and anonymous manner with
sources, whistleblowers and dissidents. Tor can also be used to
circumvent website blocking in many countries. Many Internet users in
China, Iran, Pakistan and Turkey use Tor to access Facebook, YouTube and
Twitter.

In some countries that want to monitor and control all Internet
connections, public access points to the Tor network are blocked. In
partnership with the Tor Project and torservers.net, Reporters Without
Borders has therefore created and will maintain 250 new entry nodes to
the Tor network. As these entry nodes will not be made public,
authoritarian governments will not be able to block them.

To find an entry node if Tor is blocked in your country, you can contact
the Tor Project at help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or Reporters Without Borders
at wefightcensorship@xxxxxxx.

Reporters Without Borders will also make the details of these non-public
bridges available within its network and during the seminars on
circumventing censorship and protecting communications that it organizes
throughout the world.

Torservers.net is an independent, global network of organizations that
help to protect human rights to freedom of opinion and expression by
running high bandwidth Tor relays.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/