[tn-moths] Re: [ncsc-moths] Sesiid Success!

  • From: "Parker Backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:49:55 -0400

Nice clearwing, Merrill!  It will be interesting indeed to see what your
yard produces sesiid wise.  I ordered my lures last week, as you know, and
look forward to sampling what the central piedmont has to offer.

I had a very fresh Cecropia Moth this morning at one of my stops.  He wasn't
too happy when I gathered him up and put him in my car as I continued my
perusal but the crows I saw scavenging at the base of the wall yesterday
were hanging around waiting for the light to come up just a little bit more
before gorging on the offerings.  I just couldn?t let him meet such an end.
I rolled down the window a short way down the road and out he flew.  I'm a
little curious why I don't see more of this species around here.

I added Ceratomia amyntor and Paratrea plebeja to my list of sphingids on
the year bringing the total to five.  It's hard not to be impressed and
pleased when this group starts showing up.  Certainly the most interesting
observation this morning was a major appearance of Loxostegopsis merrickalis
this morning.  While not uncommon, I typically only see them in ones and
twos, and far from nightly.  This morning I saw several dozen in two
locations, exceeded several fold the total number I've seen over the past
several years combined.

I'm a little on the late side reporting it but a couple of weeks ago I came
across a fresh Eutelia pulcherrimus, a species I don't see nearly often
enough (see attached).

It's gonna be a productive week this week, me thinks.  Lep on, everyone!

Parker