[tn-moths] Re: [ncsc-moths] Re: unidentified moth

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:32:24 -0400

Thanks Merill. This is quite convincing.
I appreciate all the acquired knowledge you have been sharing with us.
I'm impressed with how fast you have gained so much expertise.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 06:37:38 -0400
Subject: [ncsc-moths] Re: unidentified moth
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Larry,

Check the two attached images: a different image of the L. baileyi that I
posted, and an image of L. antennata that I took yesterday.  To my eye,
antennata differs in several ways:  the basal dash is thinner and much
straighter in antennata, more distinct and curved in baileyi; the orbicular
spot is oval in antennata and touches the suborbicular spot, in baileyi the
orbicular is not oval but more rectangular; the reniform spot in antennata is
mostly reddish and in baileyi just a tint of reddish shows in the reniform.
The general ground color of antennata is less contrasty and more subdued than
the more boldly patterned baileyi.

Merrill

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Merrill,

I don't see why a worn Lithophane antennata - Ashen Pinion - Hodges#9910 isn't
a possibilty.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:47:25 -0400
Subject: [ncsc-moths] unidentified moth
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moth'ers,

This moth showed up at my light last night.  I've spent some time looking at
the MPG plates and still don't have any idea what it is.  Any ideas?

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm

--