[tn-moths] Re: [ncsc-moths] Moth Night rules, timing, event listings

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:32:53 -0400

Brian,

Kris Light and I plan to participate by conducting a moth sheet demonstation
Saturday night, July 30th, at Roan Mountain State Park in Carter County, TN. It
will be a part of Xtreme Roan Adventures (the Nature Rally for Kids) which is
Friday night and all day Saturday, July 29th and 30th. We will have a moth
sheet going on Friday night also. If anyone would like more information you can
contact me or visit the Xtreme Roan Adventures website at
http://xtremeroanadventures.org/

Larry McDaniel
(423) 773-9234

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:45:03 -0400
Subject: [ncsc-moths] Moth Night rules, timing, event listings
From: birdranger248@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kyle Kittelberger (aka kkmicromoth-er) has graciously agreed to be compiler of
Moth Night, which is great because July is a very busy time for me.  I was
thinking of using the Excel checklist on the moth night web site and having all
counters fill in numbers and location, email it as an attachment directly to
Kyle, then he compiles the master results and posts them.  It would be on the
honor system with any new state records or others deemed rare requiring photo
documentation (which we all do anyway)

questions

1-what times for moth night, should we do midnight to midnight like most bio
blitzes using one calendar day?  seems like two nights are possible that way,
how about July 30th 6am to 6am?!?! or does it even matter.  I would do some
daytime moth-ing so wanted to have some daylight hours and save my public hike
for the evening.

2-For the competition aspect what do you think about the categories

Highest overall total moth species identified
Highest overall total species per state (NC winnder, SC winner, TN, etc)
Highest total species per county
Highest total species per backyard (from within a few hundred feet or some
arbitrary rulling)
Highest total number of indivuals tallied
Highest total of participants on a hike/walk/talk

3-Updating the moth night web site soon, send me any events you have including
time
location
email/sign up
program/event description