[tn-moths] moths from two weeks ago

  • From: Rikki Hall <sourpersimmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:56:48 -0400

Hello all,

I've fallen behind on processing moth photos, but I'm hoping to catch back
up. I've uploaded another batch
here<http://www.bluemelon.com/sourpersimmon/porchmoths4-13-10>
.

1&2 are a white moth. I've always called these "ghost moths," but BugGuide
is making me think that's wrong.

3 is an oak beauty, Phaeoura quernaria 6763, I believe, but I'd appreciate
an expert opinion. Not sure what look-alikes might be out there.

4 seems like an Achiata sp, quaker

5 is a Geometrid, probably Larentiinae, but maybe Ennominae

6 is Eupithicia sp I'm pretty sure

7 is Marathyssa basilis 8956, expert confirmation appreciated. This one
seemed smaller than others I've seen this year, but I think it's just a
male, not the other species.

8&9 are a prominent of some sort, maybe

10 looks like a Geometrid similar to a cankerworm moth

11&12 are a Noctuid, but I'm hesitant to go any deeper. It has a flat wing
posture.

13&14 are a fairly large and powerful moth. When I saw it fluttering against
the window from inside, it looked pure white, but the dominant dorsal color
was orange.

15 is a small Geometrid with sculpted wing margins

I will post any FOY or BAMONA records separately once I have IDs. Thanks
all!

Rikki Hall
Rockford, Blount Co