[tn-moths] documenting moth species in tn

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:31:36 -0600

Currently, the BAMONA website lists 215 species of moths as occurring in
Tennessee, a considerable increase in the number of moths since the last time
that I checked (mid-2009), but still far short of the 1500+ moth species that
undoubtedly occur in our state.

A large part of the credit for the recent increase in the number of moths
documented for TN at BAMONA is due to the (fairly new) TN moth coordinator,
Jason Roberts, who did more to increase the TN moth list during the past year
than I was able to do in the three years before that.  Kudos to Jason.

It should also be noted that a fairly large part of the credit for the recent
increase in moths documented for TN at BAMONA is also due to DJ Stanley, who
has documented well over 100 species of moths for Cumberland County during the
past year.  Indeed, the moth list for Cumberland County at BAMONA may now be
the longest for the state, with nearly 140 species listed.

I hope that many more of Tennessee's mothfolk will emulate DJ and work closely
with Jason to document many more moths in TN during the coming year.

So please contact Jason directly at

entoman@xxxxxxxxx

and provide him with the basic information needed to update the TN moth list at
BAMONA.  If you do this, you will also be allowing Doug Bruce to update his map
of TN counties showing the size of their moth lists.

Good mothing, Steve Stedman
Cookeville, Putnam County