[tn-moths] Watauga County, NC moths--13 March 2012

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:17:57 -0400

Perfect conditions last night for moths--overcast with some drizzle
and temps holding in the 50's all night.  Disappointing turnout
however; I had 9 species and about 20 individuals equally divided
between the porch UV light and the sugar bait.

I've been waiting until the moth activity really picks up before
putting up my yard sheet setup which I think I'll do this weekend.

0867 Agonopterix pulvipennella
3514 Acleris cervinaria FOY
6659 Phigalia denticulata--photo 1 (note the heavier markings,
distinct loop in the pm line near the inner margin; also noticeably
larger than strigataria)
6660 Phigalia strigataria--photo 2 (note more subdued markings, lack
of pm loop, and the slight but distinct olivaceous tint of the
forewings; noticeably smaller than denticulata)
7390 Xanthorhoe lacustrata
9930 Pyreferra sp. maybe citromba
9933 Eupsilia vinulenta
9936 Eupsilia morrisoni