[tn-moths] Watauga County, NC moths--10 April 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 06:33:49 -0400

Last night, I had no new moth species but many of the same individuals I had
on my big night Friday.  About 1/2 the number of individuals but that was
probably because I didn't run my MV light in the yard (thunderstorms with
heavy rain and even a little hail!).  Canadian Melanolophias were by far the
most common species (20+ individuals) including two copulating pairs.

As others have reported, I'm also getting quite a few other bugs on my
sheet--some beetles but mainly crane flies and other Diptera, earwigs,
icheumon wasps, caddisflies, lacewings, and a few planthoppers.  Just in the
past couple of days some of the native vegetation has started breaking
bud--buckeyes are beginning to leaf out and black cherries are starting to
flower.  Spring ephemerals such as bloodroot, trout lily, hepatica, and
squirrel corn are beginning to flower.  But, as I discussed in my earlier
post, the "green wave" is still several weeks away.  The forest is still
essentially in winter plumage.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch