[tn-moths] Re: Pseudexentera sp.?

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 06:50:29 -0500

Doug,

The genus Pseudexentera is notorious for being extremely difficult to
nail down to species.  In our area there are at least 12 species and
they are one of the first torts to emerge.  As a group, they are very
common in eastern forests and a knowledge of the food plants in your
area can aid in narrowing down the possibilities.  Only 2 species are
easy to identify--P. costomaculana and virginiana--and the rest very
problematic.  I think on this one you will have to be satisfied with
Pseudexentera sp.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch