[tn-moths] Phigalia denticulata and strigataria

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:18:25 -0500

Both Phigalia denticulata and strigataria were at my lights this
morning affording a good comparison.  P. denticulata (image with wings
spread) appeared noticeably larger and the forewings distinctly more
mottled than P. strigataria, particularly when viewed from a distance.
 P. strigataria, at least the ones at my location, have a slight
olivaceous tint that is not present in P. denticulata.

Also, had my first Xanthorhoe lacustrata 7390 and Orthosia hibisci
10495 of the season and FOY Pseudexentera sp.

J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga Co., NC