[tn-moths] New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting at the Farm Event rained out

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:39:48 -0400

The third ever New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting at the Farm Event scheduled
for last night was rained out.

However, I did did try a couple interesting brews and was able to do some early
morning mothing.

Moths seen:

Gelechiidae - Twirler Moth - Coleotechnites sp.
Gelechiidae - Twirler Moth sp. (different one, photo included)
unid. micro (no good photos)
Chimoptesis pennsylvaniana - Filigreed Chimoptesis - Hodges#3273
Argyrotaenia velutinana - Red-banded Leafroller - Hodges#3597
Tornos scolopacinarius - Dimorphic Gray - Hodges#6486
Selenia sp. (photo included)
Eupithecia sp.
Lascoria ambigualis - Ambiguous Moth - Hodges#8393
Phoberia atomaris - Common Oak Moth - Hodges#8591
Caenurgina sp.
Mythimna unipuncta - Armyworm - Hodges#10438
Orthosia hibisci - Speckled Green Fruitworm Moth - Hodges#10495

The Selenia sp. was of particular interest. I think it's either Selenia
kentaria - Kent's Geometer - Hodges#6818
or Selenia alciphearia - Northern Selenia - Hodges#6817. Either is a lifer for
me.

The brews:

Belhaven Scottish Ale (In honor of St. Patrick, most excellent)
Samuel Adams Alpine Spring (In honor of spring, not bad)

The next New Moon Mothing and Beer Tasting at the Farm Event will be
Saturday, April 21st with sunset at 8:08 pm.
This will be a part of Discover Life's Spring Natural History Survey.

Let me know if you would like to be added to the invite list.

Larry McDaniel
Jonesborough, TN