[tn-moths] Re: Figure-Eight Sallow (Psaphida resumens - 10019)?

  • From: "Marvin Smith" <ms6wood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:57:49 -0600

Thanks for confirming, Merrill. I agree about that "thaxterianus". Even though I said I was going with that ID, it's still "unknown" in my files. Now, that I've got a more easily identifiable resumens, that makes me doubt the thaxterianus ID even more. There's no rule saying my two recent Psaphida cannot be different moths, but still... One usually sees the same species over a short period of time.

Marvin

-----Original Message----- From: J. Merrill Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:02 AM
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tn-moths] Re: Figure-Eight Sallow (Psaphida resumens - 10019)?

Marvin,  Looks like resumens to me.  I'm still not convinced the one
you posted on FB a few days ago is thaxterianus.  Both of your images
look quite similar to me.

Merrill

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Marvin Smith <ms6wood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not much mothing going on in northern Arkansas over the past few days.
Temps have been warm enough, but it’s been way too windy.  I did have this
Psaphida hang on long enough for a few photos on 2/5/12.  I’ve been
perplexed by Psaphida several times already this spring, but I think this is
a Figure-Eight Sallow (Psaphida resumens - 10019).

Thanks for having a look,
Marvin Smith

Rural North-central Arkansas
Searcy County – Ozark Mountains
Elevation:  1600 feet
Mixed hardwood and pine woods/pastures/waste areas.

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm