[tn-moths] Re: Antaeotricha question

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hmcguinness@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:33:27 -0400

Hey Fellow Leppers,

I find these two species quite confusing and do not feel confident that I
always get them right. I have been meaning to look at museum specimens, but
I still haven't gotten around to doing so. A. schlaegeri is larger, and
appears to have a larger black/dark splotch along the inner margin of the FW
emanating from the dark thoracic tuft. A leucillana seems more likely to
have brown in the thoracic tuft. On Long Island (NY), schlaegeri appears to
be bi-voltine, whereas leucillana appears to be uni-voltine and thus they
have slightly different flight seasons, although there is some overlap. I'll
let you know what I find when I get to see how they are sorted in a museum.

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School